Pages

Saturday 5 May 2012

And then there was baking

At long last, I was able to have a baking afternoon today, well a partial afternoon, there are enough weeds about to occupy an army. And no, since you're asking, the kitchen is not 100% but that's okay. Do not ask about the dishwasher (when I have something nice to say about the dishwasher, I'll say it). I have a countertop and running water, that's all I need to make it a great day for baking.

I thought I'd share my basic, yet healthy carrot muffin recipe. No these aren't glamourous, just like me. They aren't decadent, but they're good, and they're healthy. And they're easy and happily eaten by 5-year-olds. In fact, I made these once and my friend's little guy, I think he was 2 or 3 at the time, ate his liner and all. 'nuff said.

Ally's Carrot Muffins

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 eggs
1 cup grated carrots
1 tsp vanilla

Stir together all dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients to the dry at the same time. Mix thoroughly until all ingredients are well blended. Spoon into 12 lined muffin cups - about 2/3 to 3/4 full. Bake at 350F for 22 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Et voilĂ !


Smidgie's hooked on these carrot muffins, and as her mom, I say, hey that's not a bad thing. Figure it out folks, that's 1/24th of a cup of sugar per muffin, and the rest of the ingredients are awesomely healthy. Go forth and eat muffins young girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment