Pages

Saturday 5 May 2012

And more baking

I made a couple of batches of scones this afternoon. We have new neighbours this week, who originally hail from the U.K., so I thought it might be nice to bring them some scones. I figured they won't have had time to bake yet, if they're so inclined at all. And it was a good excuse to bake more.

So I'm going to share a friend's scone recipe. It's also easy, and pleasing to most.

Nana Peg's Basic Scones
2 cups All-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter (i find this recipe easiest when the butter is soft)
1/2 cup currants (optional)
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk

Mix all dry ingredients together. Mix the wet together in a small bowl, then add with the butter (depending on whether you consider this a wet ingredient or not), and then mix dry with wet until just blended. Do not overblend. Drop dough in scone-sized globs (now there's some good kitchen lingo for ya) onto baking sheet (lined with parchment or non-stick silicone baking mat). Bake in 400F oven for approx 15 minutes. Take them out when they're cooked through (I know what you're thinking but you've got to come to the table with some basic knowledge) and just getting golden-brown on their juts and edges. Makes about 18. They won't last long...seriously. As long as you don't overbake them.


When the Smidge and I delivered them (along with some delish lemon-blueberry scones - a recipe for which I can't take credit), the one new neighbour had just arrived home. She didn't take more than about 20 seconds to fish a scone out and bite in. We decided to deliver some to the other neighbours too, since Mr. B. was involved in the dishwasher non-installation. Get it, non-installation.....okay more on that later, when I can speak nicely about it.

Hooked on baking, yes I am. And yes, Nana Peg herself is originally from the U.K. too, so it was like a reunion of sorts....well not really, but in my demented way I thought it made sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment