Pages

Tuesday 3 February 2015

Fur Bears



Some time last year, I realized that my efforts to sell my mom's fur coat were going absolutely nowhere. It seems there are far fewer people wearing fur coats, let alone buying them, these days. I hear they're super warm but I personally wouldn't choose to wear one. 

I don't remember when and where I first heard that you can have bears made from a fur coat, but I found someone in my province that does exactly that. I contacted her and emailed off some photos of the fur coat, presumably to make sure that it's quality was adequate for re-use. After more discussion, I mailed off my mom's coat. 

Because I wasn't in a hurry, it was a few months before the bears were done. She was able to make three large and three smaller bears - one each for my mom's six grandchildren.

I decided to give them to the kids for Christmas. I didn't know if they'd like this particular gift, but even if they didn't I thought it was nice for them to have something that connected them all together, and that would be a memory of their loving, fun granny. 

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by their reaction - even the 20-year-old grandson was pleased with his bear! I had them randomly select their bears (except the one with the vest went to the one grandson) so that the distribution of large and small bears was fair. 

Here they are all together before Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment