Pages

Friday 25 August 2017

no biggie

I can't remember the last time i dyed wool. I needed a piece of dark red wool for a commission that I need to get started. So I dug out my dyeing gear; amazingly nothing needed dusting!  


I took the opportunity to show my daughter how to dye since she couldn't remember watching previously (has it really been that long?).   


I was only dyeing one colour, so we mixed up my super secret (no one has asked!) recipe for my fave dark red. My rule-following daughter was very concerned about the hazards of working with the dyes and kept her gloves and mask on long after she needed to. So sweet. 



I think this was the first use of the electric frying pan - a bit too much wool for its capacity, but by taking care when stirring it worked out okay. 



Our finished project is drying on the deck. Hooking begins on Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Consider yourself ASKED! (will you share the recipe? It's a lovely color!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gayle!
      Certainly happy to share my top secret recipe (ha ha)!
      Using Cushing's Dyes, this red uses: 3/4 tsp turkey red, 1/8 tsp plum, 1/2 tsp terra cotta, 1/32 tsp seal brown. Mix, top up with one cup of hot water and process. I used two batches for this size!

      Delete